Monday, December 25, 2017

Planning on Reading More in 2018!

I wonder, even as I am writing this, why take on a reading challenge for 2018 when I am struggling to keep up with requirements for my first year in a new job. AND my husband and I are planning to make an investment in a long-arm machine for me to start a quilting business this summer. BUT I love reading and all things related to New Year's lists and resolutions, so here I am planning my list of 12 classic books to read for 2018.

 To be fair (or reasonable), it is a manageable number of books---only 12 for the entire year---and I do have a 25-minute drive to and from work every day, so I can plan to use this time for listening to audiobook versions of books on my list. Yay! I've convinced myself I can do it, so here is my first attempt at filling in the categories with my planned books to read . . .


1. A 19th century classic – any book published between 1800 and 1899. 
    My choice: Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriett Beecher Stowe

2. A 20th century classic – any book published between 1900 and 1968. 
    My choice: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

3.  A classic by a woman author.  '
    My choice: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

4. A classic in translation.
    My Choice: All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

5. A children’s classic.
    My Choice: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

6. A classic crime story, fiction or non-fiction.
    My Choice: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

7. A classic travel or journey narrative, fiction or non-fiction. 
     My Choice: Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne

8. A classic with a single-word title. 
    My Choice: Walden by Henry David Thoreau

9. A classic with a color in the title.
    My Choice: White Fang by Jack London

10. A classic by an author that’s new to you.
     My Choice: 

11. A classic that scares you.
     My Choice: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

12. Re-read a favorite classic. 
      My Choice: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

For a complete list of requirements for drawings for prizes, please visit Books and Chocolate who is hosting the challenge. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment